Sennheiser e 838 Microphone
The Sennheiser e 838 is a handheld dynamic microphone with a cardioid polar pattern.
This mic is in the professional line of Sennheiser’s “evolution” series, and is the only mic with silver finish.
Like all the handheld vocal dynamics in the series, the e838 features a shockmounted capsule to reduce handling noise, and a humbucking coil to reduce EMI/RFI (electromagnetic and radio-frequency interference).
The mic’s frequency response (measured at 1m, much farther than the live performance applications for which it was intended) is nominally flat from 150Hz–2kHz, Between 2kHz and 10kHz, the mic has a +4dB presence boost.
Proximity effect likely creates a much fuller low-frequency response than is indicated by the mic’s published rolloff below 150Hz.
The e800 series vocal microphones can be distinguished as follows:
- e815 (cardioid) - inexpensive mics for the consumer market
- e825 (cardioid) - entry-level mic for stage use
- e835 (cardioid) - best-selling vocal mic, with dark finish
- e838 (cardioid) - this is the e840 with a silver finish
- e840 (cardioid) - tuned for better projection on loud stages, improved feedback rejection; has 10-year warranty.
- e845 (supercardioid) - tighter pickup pattern for more feedback rejection is needed
According to Sennheiser, all these microphones share a basic moving-coil cartridge design, but differ in the size and shape of their diaphragms, the coil windings, damping elements, and resonators.